Suzanne's 6.5
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm
    ----
Alright I have another problem.....I got the Mauser action from the auction and I was told that the bolt weld had some imperfections (but they weren't visible in the photos). So here's some photos of what I got for imperfections;

Notice the porosities in the weld. Can that be filled with silver solder or some other brazing stuff and call it cool? Or do I have to have it re-welded to make it alright? I'm giving it to a friend at work, her husband does some welding and maybe he can remedy it but I thought you guys might be in-the-know on such things. (HHhmmm he also said it was chromed, but you could easily see from his photos that it wasn't) I'm not gonna bitch about it, I got a good price and all, the action came from Kimber and it's tight as new, I love it.

Suz

#17: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm
    ----
That doesn't look too bad Suz...a careful bit of MIG or TIG welding by a competent welder should fix the porosities.

After that, some careful reshaping and you are right mate.

Cheers, Vince

#18: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 am
    ----
The only way to get rid of welding pits is to grind it all out to bright metal and re-weld. I had a bolt like that on my 30-06 and it broke off. Different rifles and maybe yours is better but I would definately be talking to my smith.

#19: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 am
    ----
Suz
Take PaulS advice and bring it to a smith, since looking at the pics the bolt was already broken and they did not do a good job of repairing it. Also got to remember that you need someone good to do the weld as to not get it to hot for a long time or the temper will be drawn out of the steel. The last thing you want is to have the bolt become the weakest part of the gun.

#20: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:11 am
    ----
It's not a repaired break. The original bolt handle stuck straight out (WWll Mauser) so they cut it off and reshaped it and welded it on, so it will clear a scope.

Suz

#21: Re: Suzanne's 6.5 Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 pm
    ----
Got yah Suz
I would still advise taking it to a smith, after grinding away the old weld, and re welding it, he can then magnaflux the bolt assembly to make sure no hidden cracks.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions