Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:22 am
    ----
Lee makes 2 different turrets !!! ( Lee Turret Press )

The article you referenced talks about the basic 3 and 4 hole turrets and is correct in what it says.

Bushy refers to the "Classic Turret" that's a bigger press and is capable of doing rifle cartridges.

#17: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm
    ----
MCAT,
which calibers are you planning to reload for?
For rifle bottle necked cases where you're loading 50 to 100 rounds per batch, my opinion agrees with the others, get a quality single stage press, a quality set of dies, a hand primer, lee trimming tool, a quality set of scales,powder dribbler, funnel, dial calipers and a couple of manuals etc and get to it. Reloading for high pressure cartridges isnt something that should be rushed, rushing leads to stuffups which at the very least will turn out poor quality inaccurate ammo.
If on the other hand you are reloading for straight walled pistol cartridges and doing 200+ in a batch, I can see why you would want a progressive press, I must have loaded around 20,000 9mm rounds on a single stage press (now I remember why I dont do pistol anymore) so horses for courses, but the importasnt thing is to go slow and learn how to do it correctly. You can update and buy new toys later and then adapt what you do to suit your needs, a single stage heavy duty press will rarely go to waste.

#18: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 am
    ----
Somebody watchin the beer? It's just that Mcat hasn't been back yet and.....well I was just thinkin maybe he's on a beer run or something.....Vinnie's got that truck full and I don't want to think that a new guy is out there runnin around thinkin he needs to pay-up or somthin. I kinda liked the way he just sat down and wasn't shy or anything. Sort of a nice person, but I wish he'd show up again.....I'd brush his hat off....make sure his stump is turned to the un-wormy side....fix him a samich...

Suz

#19: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:07 am
    ----
Could you make that a roast beast and cheese for me?

#20: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: MaqwaLocation: North Bay Ont. Canada PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:40 am
    ----
You could just use the turret press as a single unit with the other die installed on the turret .
Then use the next station for crimping
You would then first deprime and resize your brass in one operation .
Then clean all of the said lo t . I would then HAND PRIME with a separate tool , then fill each case with a weighed charge from a scale , Check each and ever case before going on to the next step ,( no missed primers and powder all over the place )
Then seat a bullet on each case with the bullet seating die on your turret .

So you are using the Lee Turret die as a single stage , then you could still ise it as a progressive unit for your pistol/ revolver needs . I would still use a hand primer priming all brass by hand and using a separate die for seating a bullet and to crimp.
So your loading 20/50 case's one operation at a time for the lot .

Now were is Vince ? A beer all around Very Happy

#21: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 am
    ----
We got some chocolate chimp cookies for dessert too Bushy, so don't fill up too much. I'll get the beast-n-cheeze grilled up and hot. I got lotsa strawberries too, so we could fix up a strawberry-n-ice-cream beer float! Tha's sort of a 4th of July favorite that needs to be fine tuned a bit, but we got time. Usually people put too much ice-cream in it and the berries don't get mixed up good enough and you end up puking up this redish foamy beer smelling.....well if you get that goin out your nose then you're in trouble. Guess I should get some wet wash cloths on hand too. Maybe some of those baby wipes would do (left overs from the ' Who Can Chuck Down the Most Red Worms contest') That was really something to see, Dimitri in the lead as always, you just can't beat a Greek to his red worms. Now I remember the brew that was used for the wash-down, it's not available any more, because of the bad press about the worm chucking, but if we could find a similar taste....sort of like marinated, fermented goats brew (complete with flys), then we'd have somethin. Ya know we should come up witha nice 4th of July game or two to round out the fourth. It's just about here and we got nuthin goin on, that's a shame....start thinkin guys.

Suz

#22: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: MaqwaLocation: North Bay Ont. Canada PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 pm
    ----
If it is all the same, I would be happy with two beers and a goat drum stick.

Then a lamb shank or two sounds good too.

#23: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 pm
    ----
Well,
Looks like Mcat has his answer and has gained 5 lbs into the bargain......

#24: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm
    ----
Suzzz...Contest? Hell. I'm stil workin' on the last one. You know...The dart target...

#25: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm
    ----
Statute of limitations, Bush-n-stuff, that's long over due. Now you mention it, that would be fun with my .17 rifle. Yeah maybe we should come up with an old-timers event...anyone over a certain age gets a handicap (make sure I'm included).

Suz

#26: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 am
    ----
Suz the Indefatiguable wrote:
...we could fix up a strawberry-n-ice-cream beer float! Tha's sort of a 4th of July favorite that needs to be fine tuned a bit, but we got time. Usually people put too much ice-cream in it and the berries don't get mixed up good enough and you end up puking up this redish foamy beer smelling.....well if you get that goin out your nose then you're in trouble.

I am officially callin' fer me mate HERB...laughin' at the ground, havin' a RALPH. Thanks Suz...the mere thought of that mixture was enough to make me chunder up me last six beers. Yuck Yuck

What a terrible waste.

Cheers, Vince

#27: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:51 am
    ----
Better than a shrimp ice-cream beer float....seafood ice-cream doesn't really go with beer. You've smelled rotten fish right? Imagine your seafood ice-cream goin bad and you didn't know it, after pouring a quality beer over it, in your mug. Now that would be chuck-worthy. Kinda makes strawberry ice-cream beer float sound pretty good huh? It's all in your matter of perspective Vinnie!

Suz Popcorn

#28: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
Better than a shrimp ice-cream beer float..Suz Popcorn

Faint

#29: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:22 am
    ----
This thread sure has taken an odd turn!

#30: Re: Lee Turret Press only good for pistol reloading Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:03 pm
    ----
Don't they all?? We're just waiting for mcat7 to return from where ever he went...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> Reloading Ammunition