Guys, RUOK?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next  :| |:
-> General

#481: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:43 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
reading that last post Vince...I cant but help think of the itsy bitsy spider ditty we sang as kids....LOL.

itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout,
down came the rain and washed poor itsy out
out came the sunshine and dried up all the rain
and itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again....

I reckon that’s what may well be happening mate. We have supercell storms predicted for this weekend, with large sized hailstones predicted for some areas. These storms have caused the cancellation of the Aussie Air Force air show this weekend at Amberley Airbase…dhc4ever old stomping ground. Most disappointing.

“Punkin” wrote:
Just a note:
Bated breath means you're in suspense.
Baited breath means you've been eating worms... Wink

Get better soon Vince!

That may account for the wiggly squirmy feelings in my throat mate. Scratch Scratch Confused Very Happy wtf

#482: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:34 am
    ----
We are having our share of troubles this spring. The north of the province of Alberta is burning up. Currently there is a fire around my town - the whole town was evacuated (~7000 people). I live a mile east of the evac area so still in place and the fire is moving away from me so breathing easy there. If the wind shifts to our normal out of the NW that could be a different story. Can't get into town for anything - I have a water truck and they won't let me in to get water! During a fire.....
A half hour from here there were several more towns evacuated and the main highway was shut down. Highway 16 is the main route west from Edmonton to the west coast. I'm sure many a trucker were grumbling about the extra miles needed to get around that mess. About a three hour detour from Edmonton to Calgary to head west. At one point I heard that approx 24,000 people had been evacuated. The premier of the province declared a state of emergency. We did have some rain last week but no where near to enough and more hot, dry conditions starting this weekend.
Trying to find a good side to this - I will have a good supply of fire killed wood available close to home now. I usually drive close to two hours to get to my spot for firewood. Now it'll be ten minutes.

#483: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:50 pm
    ----
Damn…forest fires are terrible. Fingers crossed it keeps moving away from you mate, and hopefully not into the path of others. I can’t understand them not letting you in to fill your water truck though, unless there is a water shortage and they need it to fight the fires.

Stay safe mate, and hopefully all will go well for you and your family.

#484: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm
    ----
Yeah I can't wrap my head around it either. They have been turning trucks away - none of it makes sense. It is still moving away from the house which is great. There is a huge fire in the area that I do a lot of my work in that is roaring away. Last I saw it was 83,000 hectares. Most of my customers plants are shut in and the guys are at home or evacuated if they live close to town

#485: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:00 pm
    ----
Stay safe Grey_Wolf and family. Sure glad I have my own well and a generator to run it and the house.

#486: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:18 pm
    ----
Stay safe @Grey_Wolf
Bushfire is scary, I remember a few years ago when areas around Sydney burns.

#487: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:27 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Stay safe Grey_Wolf and family. Sure glad I have my own well and a generator to run it and the house.

I try. I am rural and have a well too. Also have a Lincoln 305 G that doubles as a mighty powerful generator.

#488: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:01 am
    ----
Grey_Wolf, I hope your situation has improved. I got to experience the smoke from the Canadian fires driving through Colorado last Friday. Visibility got down to a mile in some locations. I saw news this morning that the fires are still spreading.

#489: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:20 pm
    ----
Yes it's pretty good here now thanks. Lots of smoke but the local fire is under control. Ash every where! Lots of fire all over the province, visibility was about a mile the last few days. Had some rain last night and today.

edit to add
More rain last night. I see that the evacuation order is still in effect for parts of the county - 30 minute evac notice. But that's on the other side of the river and about eight miles from me so not worried. Smoke seems to have been tamped down a bit too.

#490: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:48 am
    ----
Stay safe GW.

We had smoke and some ash from the fires in the Ottawa Valley last week but none since. New Brunnswick appeared to get it worse than us.

Today the sky is clear.

#491: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: Grey_Wolf PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:22 pm
    ----
Still smoke in the area but a ways off. The local fire is all but out so not much from it. This stuff is coming from all the other fires in the province. People have been allowed back in to town. Lots of fire still in the region. I was out west this morning going to a job and happened upon a young griz. Sure glad I was in the truck lol.

#492: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:06 pm
    ----
last night shift tonight for the season..then 3 days off then last 3 dayshifts..then I get a wee holiday/time off till the moos all drop their next seasons calves and the moo juice starts to pour into vats again...oh man am I looking forward to a long time off...havent had more than a 2 week break since before joining this forum..... ducks,deer,pigs,honeydoo chores..catch up with mates all on the cards.

#493: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 pm
    ----
“Elvis” wrote:
… ducks,deer,pigs,honeydoo chores

Mate, I wish I could join you, but I wouldn’t be able to tramp those bloody great “yarmas” you hunt…my knees wouldn’t let me.

Like you, I haven’t been able to get out since forever, but I’m chomping at the bit to get out there.

Enjoy your break mate, and prioritise them “honey do’s” so you have time for everything else.

#494: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:38 pm
    ----
well,my Honeybuns surprised me today...can yo utake me for a walk up "temptation valley"???? thats one of my easier hunting spots with 7km walk in and out.....so thats plan for tomorrow...GREAT start to holiday.

#495: Re: Guys, RUOK? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:13 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
well,my Honeybuns surprised me today...can yo utake me for a walk up "temptation valley"???? thats one of my easier hunting spots with 7km walk in and out.....so thats plan for tomorrow...GREAT start to holiday.

Confused Shocked Shocked Shocked Oh…be careful mate, Becs is up to something…sounds like she has a plan in mind. That “honey do” list just may well be a real doosy when it comes out. Laughing Laughing

-> General