Cut Slugs
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Cut Slugs Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 am
    ----
Also known as "Cut Slugs", these effective yet surprisingly simple alternative shotgun munitions were once used in the early 1900's when deer stopping loads were needed but not always available. You can turn a simple bird shot load into a man or game stopping "slug" with a quick turn of a knife.

Cut Shell Slugs

This works with any gauge of shotshell. You loose the hull, but that is not an issue if you are shooting the cheap target hulls at the Clays range, save them and reload for Cut Shell...or you could use the target loads right from the "get go".

Cheers, Vince

#2: Re: Cut Slugs Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 am
    ----
I hadn't thought of those for years! My grandfather used to tell me about using them during the Depression to get deer for his family to survive. He even cut a couple to show me. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

#3: Re: Cut Slugs Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:55 pm
    ----
I watched a couple more of their antics, armor piercing bullets and 50 cal through a 12G 'fire formed' ammo.....they're bloody mad!

#4: Re: Cut Slugs Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
Both of my Grandfathers use to cut 16ga and 12ga to get their deer, while it worked for them on getting the deer, I just wonder how a half of a plastic or paper shell case going down the barrel with shot would act if they had a full choke barrel?

Not good I would imagine. Shocked Shocked

#5: Re: Cut Slugs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:30 pm
    ----
Very interesting. Think I will stay with regular slugs though. I like his comment that they are just large Glaser bullets.

#6: Re: Cut Slugs Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 pm
    ----
didnt work too well when I tried it in the baikal , now waxing the shot into the wad... thats a whole different story.tip out the shot and add one of the kids glass marbles works for bailed pigs too. Very Happy

#7: Re: Cut Slugs Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:20 pm
    ----
I think I will try this at the tactical shotgun match tomorrow!

-> Big Game Hunting