Buffer spring "loud"
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Buffer spring "loud" Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 am
    ----
So, as I noted before, I ended up picking up a Colt AR-15 with a 24" heavy stainless barrel. Lately I've just been pulling the trigger and cleaning the rifle, waiting for it to break in.

One thing I have noticed is the buffer spring is exceptionally loud. Is this something normal for the solid stock I have or is there a way to quiet it down at bit?

#2: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 am
    ----
I have a colt a2 and when shot it sounds like the buffer spring is flyin apart. Maybe its just a colt thing as my bushmaster and S&W MP15 dosent sound like that.

#3: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 am
    ----
Welcome to the wonderful world of ARs. Very Happy One thing you can do is check the end of spring winds just in-case there is a bur that is scrapping down the inside of the receiver extension, making the sprong sound even louder.

The "Fix" for the "SPROING" is to apply a light coat of grease to the recoil spring. This pretty well silences it and does a great job of lubing it. I have tried with heavier buffer springs but the "SPROING" is more noticeable.

#4: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:09 am
    ----
Ominivision1 wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of ARs. Very Happy One thing you can do is check the end of spring winds just in-case there is a bur that is scrapping down the inside of the receiver extension, making the sprong sound even louder.

The "Fix" for the "SPROING" is to apply a light coat of grease to the recoil spring. This pretty well silences it and does a great job of lubing it. I have tried with heavier buffer springs but the "SPROING" is more noticeable.

Thanks! I will try these two things.

#5: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: fnuserLocation: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:44 pm
    ----
I have noticed this on just about every A.R. I have shot because I usually shoot bolts nowadays. My 6.8 "sproings" and I had forgotten that noise, but got a little flashback to 1992 the first time I squeezed the trigger.

#6: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:16 pm
    ----
Colts tend to sound like typewriter falling down the stairs. Grease will help.

#7: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm
    ----
My Bushmaster does the same thing.

Then I pick up my AK47, shoot that, and see why its rated the best combat gun. Sad

Eric

#8: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
Colts tend to sound like typewriter falling down the stairs. Grease will help.
hunting with a guy with a wetherby with a plastic stock in the thick west coast bush , he sounded like he was dragging a g-tar around with him Very Happy

#9: Re: Buffer spring "loud" Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am
    ----
Thanks guys, a little love with the lithium grease made the problem go away.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions