Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Thought I would share this with my fellow HuntingNut mates. I had a long day yesterday. Not sure I would claim it as successful. I woke real early and headed to the lease to hunt hogs in the morning then planned to hunt turkey with the bow in the afternoon. With a 2 hour drive, got there 30 min before sunrise. Got to see a 1 1/2 year old 4-point buck run across the field which is encouraging as I haven’t caught too many deer on the game cameras. I did get to see a lot of bird activity. I was in my camo leave suit in my tripod. Found out the hawks use it as a look-out. I was peering through the binocs when they went black and one tried to land on me. His wings actually hit me as he aborted his landing. Probably startled him as much as me! No turkeys, No hogs, stayed in the stand until 10a. Time to do some work clearing brush around the stands and feeders plus I set-up a waist high cloth mini-blind about 20 yards out from the North feeder in prep for turkeys that afternoon. I then went into town for lunch. After lunch, headed to the local range to shoot my 6.8mm AR some and make sure my bow was tuned and sighted in for broadheads at 20-30-40 yards. Turns out my arrow rest came loose and I couldn't even hit the target. Took over an hour but finally got it shooting well enough so headed back out to lease arriving about 4pm.

Since I had to hike in about a 1/4 mile with a bow and folding stool, I debated whether or to not take my 6.8m with me in case any hogs showed up. Decided this was a turkey hunt and it would be too much to carry so left the 6.8mm in the truck. I did slip a mag of 180gr Gold Dot HPs into my pocket as a compromise. I always carry my Glock .40-cal long-slide loaded with shot-shells in my thigh holster in case I run into rattlesnakes. I set-up in the mini-blind and waited. 30 minutes later a bachelor group of 7 turkeys showed up. Boy, are they big birds! They stayed about 5 minutes but they never got into my shooting lane I had cleared. Grass and weeds out at the lease are chest high some places due to all the rain this summer. Waited until sunset, but no more turkeys showed. Just as I was considering leaving, I heard some hog squeals. Then they got louder. Damn!! They were headed my way. I got the snake shot out of the Glock and loaded the HPs as a back-up to the bow. Here they came. Must have been at least 15. I waited a minute as they got settled in to feeding, picked out a large sow as she walked into the clearing, came to full-draw unnoticed, then let the arrow fly. What - low and in the dirt!?!?! (turns out I forgot to wear my arm guard and the bow string got caught up in my leave suit). Wasn't much to do but drop the bow, unholster the Glock, and see what I could do as they ran away. I think I got three but only found two in the tall grass. Wow, if I had my 6.8 with me it would have been a AR Moment! Did a gut-less 1/4ing along with the backstraps in the headlights of the truck.

Finally got back home a 1030pm. Slept well!

hogs on the tailgate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.1 KB
 Viewed:  8921 Time(s)

hogs on the tailgate.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by slimjim on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Any tailgate that has game on it is a good hunt.

Yup...Know how you feel. Many a time I have had the wrong rifle with me on a hunt. If I take the .30-06 all of the deer are within 50 yards. If I take the .30-30 all the deer are out to 200 yards. Too much to carry both.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Success in my book! Nice pistol work slimmers!!!!
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Thanks, Bushy and stovey. Its been almost 2 years since I've been to a pistol match. Trying to keep SA (situational awareness) with all those pigs running around - well, let's just saw I need to practice some more or maybe do what athletes do, close their eyes and mentally walk through what you think will happen. Should have done that before I drew the bow but I was just concentrating where the arrow was going to go.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Regardless of anything that happened Slim, you did well mate. It's all moot now, your hunt is history, but it's good history because you achieved.

OK, so you didn't take your 6.8mm with you...luck of the draw, and let's not forget, hindsight is 20/20 and the most exacting science know to man.

Carrying a folding seat, bow and Glock should still allow you to carry your 6.8mm on a sling mate and the load wouldn't be too heavy or excessive... it's not like you were going on a 20 mile ruck stomp mate. I've always been of the opinion that it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

A thought, maybe you could permanently modify the arm of your leaf suit to incorporate and arm guard...in the appropriate cam colours of course...adapt and overcome.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

I like a story with a happy ending. Well done! All the best...
Gil

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
carry your 6.8mm on a sling mate

That is the lesson from this hunt.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Nice! Any tool is good as long as it does the job.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Vince wrote:

Got one now!

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Vince wrote:

Got one now!

That will make life easier mate, although you don't need to use it all the time, only when your hands are full of other bits and bobs.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

and a good sling used in the right way gives steady aiming. Try it and you will be surprised.
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

I won't get the camera memory for another couple weeks but I want to count how many were there when I engaged them then see how many are in the sounder when they return to see if I got more than 2.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
and a good sling used in the right way gives steady aiming. Try it and you will be surprised.

Aloys, I have a sling on my M1 that makes a huge difference in steadying the rifle. The AR sling I have is for getting the rifle to the shoulder quickly to engage. The AR rests across the front of you body with the strap attached to the butt plate going over top of your strong shoulder diagonally across the back and under the left arm to the hand guard.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

He is the sling I have

www.chiefsupply.com/5-...Aobm8P8HAQ

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, I sould have had a (v) 6-8!!! Reply with quote

all my rifles and most of my shotties have a sling fitted, good work with the handgun,thems look like good eaters..roasted with apple sauce they be hard to beat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2