Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824942
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Good Handgun, Good Leather
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

I am always amazed when someone buys a good quality handgun and then goes cheap on the holster. The nylon variants never quit offer either the comfort, safety or fast presentation of a good leather holster, IMO.

Leather conforms to the shape of the user and a high quality holster is patterned (boned) to the exact shape of the firearm. The draw is easier even with thumbreaks.

Good leather doesn't necessarily cost a lot of dough either. For example, one of the most comfortable holsters I use ( I carry daily) is the DeSantis ($45.00), although I have some Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen handcrafted creations as well. Good leather holsters will minimize movement when the handgun is in place and that will keep holster wear to a minimum as well unlike the abrasiveness of Kydex for example.

IMO leather is the primary choice for any handgun.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

The down side of leather...Leather traps moisture. Most leather products, including products for firarms, are corrosive to handguns because of the tanning process. Leather is hard on blueing and tends to wear the blueing off as the firearm is inserted and drawn...Except for the high hip strong side holster that I use for my mod 19 (2 1/2") combat magnum (nylon) all my hosters are leather including my gun belts and saddle gear for my rifles. I'm with you as I am pro-leather. But to bad mouth all synthetics is not entirely true. They have their place. Synthetics tend to dry quickly when wet and good ones don't wear firearms as fast. They are also form fitted to the particular firearm that they are intended for. Leather tends to absorb moisture when it rains and it takes forever for it to dry. By The Way...I have found no product other then paint that will make leather water proof. In a good down pour and time they will soak up water. The best leather preperation that I have found and have used for most of my 63 years is plain ol' 100% Neetsfoot oil. For my saddles and all leather tack. Gun belts, holsters and asociated gun leather.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

I carry daily, a hybrid or "half kydex and half leather" made from Tucker Gunleather. I'll be honest....I did spend the extra $$$ to get all these other high dollar holsters ($150-$350) because a daily wearing holster NEEDS a certain comfort level which sure makes a difference. However, with the Tucker "Answer" holster (for Glock's, 1911's and other pistols) at just over $100 bucks and with no "abrasiveness" being it's a hybrid..... By far this is the most comfortable, fastest, safest, longest lasting, most durable holster i've ever owned! Plus, without the excessive wear marks, minimal, comparing to that of full leather or full kydex.
Next month i'm getting another one of their IWB holsters (although full leather) for my S&W 340.......plus with the ability from them to order it rough, or smooth side in/out is a great extra because companies usually just sell it to you one way...... i'll let ya know how that goes :wink:.

And as for other leather products from them, i still think, and again, after spending quite a bit over the years on gun belts, Tucker also makes the best double thick gun belt (and others as well) for the money.

Hands down.....Quality products that i'll stand by 100%!

Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

515034s10ring wrote:
. . . . . . Tucker also makes the best double thick gun belt (and others as well) for the money.

Hands down.....Quality products that i'll stand by 100%!

Now, that's an important point, too. A good gunbelt has to have the thickness/stiffness to support the holster and keep the gun butt tight to the wearer's body. Dress belts or flimsy belts of any kind simply don't allow the holster to do it's job properly.

Thanks for the tip about "Tucker". I'll see what I can find out about their products on the net.
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

The Tucker website is well organized and shows some fairly good craftsmanship on the leather items, even if it is made in Texas. I'll be ordering soon.

Bushmaster: my experience with daily carry is that leather is less abrasive to the finish of the gun provided one uses a good holster with the proper lining. I recall when suede used to be popular, but, that material is a diaster on blued handguns. Horsehide lined, OTOH, will retard bluing wear as well as any material I have used. I was pleased to see the Tucker website mentioning this as well.

Final observation for this post: handguns should never be stored in their leather holster for reasons mentioned by Bushmaster even if today's leather holsters no longer use tanic acid for treatment; most use a quality vegetable die that is not caustic or reactive to leather. Another great leather waterproofing is a brand called "LP", made in the great state of Idaho and used for years by loggers.
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

Hey Handloader, I'm glad to hear you've found something :-D. What i also like about them is you can fancy your holster up like a Rosen, Sparks, or Kramer and still probably get it cheaper. But in the event you pay a bit more....It's still worth every penny, and you get a product that will often exceed your expectations when it comes to your door (at what ever the cost may be though, all of their products i've came across were top notch)!

I have so far had the Tucker gun belt for just over a year......no complaints, excellent support and flawless results. Two belts prior to this though was a Galco and the one just before the Tucker was a Kramer......Both which i've paid way more and got way less out of!!!! Mad The Galco started cracking and breaking at the buckle.....Then the Kramer actually snapped when i fell last year Mad I even landed on my (Answer) holster without doing any kind of damage, but that belt sure as hell was unrepairable.

I should have posted the link earlier Cool ------>Tucker Gunleather

Take care,

Todd

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Good Handgun, Good Leather Reply with quote

Here are a few pics and one to show thickness and hardware used Wink

holster out of belt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.34 KB
 Viewed:  3272 Time(s)

holster out of belt.jpg

holster in belt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.7 KB

holster in belt.jpg

belt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.59 KB

belt.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1