· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200
Pictures of wildlife

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200 Reply with quote

TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200

I tried a StealthCam WD2 2 weeks ago and returned it for a Bushnell 11-9200. These are the picts from the same location, from the Bushnell. I will post another thread with comparison picts between the two cams.

Conclusion:

Ok I'll give away the ending first, even with a few problems, I really like the Bushnell 11-9200. I will be keeping this cam and feel its alot better than the WD2... its even cheaper!

The Good:

The bushnell in 1 week took 258 pictures and recorded over 2,250 "events". Its pictures are CRISP through out most of the field of view with just a tad of blurring towards the edges. The coloring is outstanding for the most part.

Its EXTREMELY sensitive, at least 100 of the 258 pictures were of nothing but a couple thistle moving to the wind. I believe that is what caused the triggering. Personally I'd rather a cam be too sensitive than not enough.

We had a couple rainstorms come through and the cam appeared dry inside, I will keep an eye on potential water leaks but so far so good!

The .25ish second trigger times are AWSOME! I got a couple picts of things running past the camera!

The Bad:

The bushnell seems to get confused at certain times at twilight and overexposes badly. I will get a hold of bushnell to see if this is a fixable problem. The WD2 and my dads Moultrie 1.3 all over exposed too so I'm much more forgiving of this in cheap cameras. If this were a $500 cam I wouldnt stand for it but for $140? Yea its regretable but I can live with it.

I would like to hear from other 11-9200 users to if they experience this over exposure problem or not... to determing if its just a general camera quirk or if I just got a cam with a problem

Another thing I find is the bushnell lense is mounted right on the surface of the cam... this lends itself to being licked or having mud smeared on it quite easily. I'll probably just cut a 3/4" length of 1" PVC pipe and silicone it on over the lense hole to keep the stupid curious elk from messing it up.

I had a single night picture... flash wasnt enough to illuminate whatever it was. Critters where I will place cams visit in mornings and evenings as they pass through on their way to feed / bed so I expect very few night pictures.

Picts

Here are some picts. If anyone wants to see the 1600x1200 originals hollar and I'll post links.

Elk at watering hole. Fullsize picts are crisp, great coloring.

An example of poor exposure. I had picts from this sequence that looked great then maybe 10 in a row over exposed. It seems the camera gets confused at twilight. A few pictures after these over exposed ones at the same place and time looked great. Occasional problem?

Another example from this over exposed sequence. Side note, look how many elk were moving through... just a couple LOL

Good crisp detail and color at distance. Twilight.

More elk, this is why I wanted a cam with sharper picts... to make out greater detail at far distances.

An example of the terrific quality this cam is capable of.

Good close and far range detail at the same time. Note the raghorn bull in the background.

Cow chasing a spike... the WD2 would have missed this! That .25 second trigger time is GREAT!

When I stopped to get my memory card from the cam, I saw my blind I built just behind the cam had been torn down! I was trying to figure out what in the hell did it until I saw this pict... stupid elk! Thats 12ft of camo burlap that was STAPLED down onto a brushpile... they tore it loose then drug it down to the mud and stomped on it for a while.

A different elk helping to dismantle my blind.

Ok I think I should win every trail cam picture contest with this next photo... ladys and gentleman I present Leroy the retarded elk!

This pict is to compare against the following over exposed picture.

The blurryness to the left and right edges of the camera is due to elk slobber and mud on the lense of the trailcam. Stupid elk.

The exposure problem is back on a new night.. roughly the same time as the other over exposed pictures which makes me believe there is a window during twilight the camera goes bonkers and over exposes.

A Deer! Yea we have them, not as many this year and they tend to hang out farther down this canyon... but a few wander around from time to time.

And there we have it. I'm pleased with the Bushnell performance... I hope the over exposure problem wont be overly problematic. I'm very optimistic about the bushell...

... oh yeah, I'm TOTALLY addicted to this trailcam hobby now!

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200 Reply with quote

Dallan,

Your swimming in Elk Shocked Has there ever been a season you didnt get your elk ?? Laughing

The Cow chasing a spike picture is a good one! Smile

Dimitri

popgun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200 Reply with quote

Good info on the cameras Dallen. Keep us posted. I guess you are going to shame me into taking my camera too the woods.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200 Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Dallan,

Your swimming in Elk Shocked Has there ever been a season you didnt get your elk ?? Laughing

Dimitri

Success in Utah is only around 12 percent for elk for general season. In fact this herd that I've been getting pictures of now moved off the property about 2 miles south of us onto other private property. Last year this happened almost identically and we didnt kill any.

I havent killed an elk in 2 years now. They are all over the place until about a week before the season starts then it becomes very hard to find them in areas you can hunt.

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TrailCam Results: Bushnell 11-9200 Reply with quote

Oh I see Dallan, well I wish you luck for this season, thought about food plots to keep them in the property for hunting season or is that illegal in Utah ??

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Photography / TrailCameras
Page 1 of 1