· Views: 825161
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

I got 6 more crows with the bola this morning, before a Department of Natural Resources Officer told me that the bola was not a legal hunting weapon in Georgia. I told him to write me up if he wanted, and when we get in front of a judge, I'll argue that nothing in the codes specifically prohibits using one, either. He is going to check with the Higher-Ups and get back with me.

In the mean-time, the crows baked up nicely with roasted potatoes, celery, carrots, and my home-made wheat bread (I also grind my own flour from raw wheat, so all the nutrition and flavor is there). My wife and I had a lovely Sunday Breakfast.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

Gigmaster wrote:
the crows baked up nicely

wtf Shocked CROWS ?!?!?! You bake and eat mongrel bloody crows????

Only thing I use them for is target practice. They explode into a nice cloud of black feathers when hit with an 80gn .243 bullet doing over 3000fps. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing ROFL

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Gigmaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

Crows are wonderful when prepared properly. As far as I know, all birds are edible (but buzzards, or vultures, are a little on the gamey side).

Another much overlooked food source are pigeons. They are basically just a big dove, and can be prepared just like one. And no one complains when you thin the population out a bit.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

Pigeons I know about, as well as doves.....but crows...nah.

Its a bit like an old joke out here in Australia. If asked how you would cook a galah...a pink and grey cockatoo...the story goes, you put the galah in a pot of water, season with salt and spices, also, place a rock about the size of your fist in with it. Boil until the rock is soft...throw the bird away and eat the rock.

Cheers, Vince

galah.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.22 KB
 Viewed:  5789 Time(s)

galah.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Last edited by Vince on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Gigmaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

I just got 2 more atlatls from Kevin Storenson. If you never heard of him, Kevin makes outstanding custom altatls. These are not toys, but are made for hard hunting and pro competition. His workmanship is outstanding and his atlatls are as good as anything available on the market. Here are some pics of my new babies:

The first one is made from beechwood and has a fossil mammoth eye. It is similar to Thunderbird's Kanakadea model, only I think this one is more robust.

This one is similar to Thunderbird's Catatonk Hunter, only I think it is styled better.

As you can see, Kevins craftmanship is first-rate. And he makes them for a very reasonable price. If you re thinking about getting into atlatls, you need to try one of Kevins. If anyone is interested, Kevin can be e-mailed at
walleyejo2001@yahoo.com
Gigmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

I've tried my hand a making a couple of rabbit sticks. They fly nice and straight. I haven't nailed a rabbit, yet, but when the season rolls around.....BEWARE BUGS!!!!!!! I'm gonna show you 'What's Up, Doc'.

[img][/img]

Also, I beat the rap on the crow/bola thing. The judge agreed that Georgia does not specifically prohibit bolas, and they do not fall under the category of 'prohibited weapons', at least not yet. And crows afre not game birds, but hunting is specifically allowed for them in Ga., with no season, and no limit. They also tried to charge me with violation of the Migratory Bird Protection Act, but it was also dismissed, since crow hunting is specifically allowed in Ga.

All in all, it was a perfectly good waste of Taxpayers money and time. In other words, typical Ga. politics........
Gigmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

I just completed making a new hog longbow.

Here is my new baby. I've tillered it to 83# at 28". It is 71" long. I made it from Red Oak, backed with linen, and a suede thong-wrapped grip. I finished it with 5 coats of clear gloss Minwax.

It shoots like dream, and hits like pile-driver. I've named it 'Thunderstyk'

I can't wait to nail a hog with it.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
whittling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

I don't know if I want any really primitive weapons . I have built a couple of primitive bow for fun though . You can call that '' primitive snake hunting '' . Oh and by the way ; do you think the peta objects to this type of hunting . And for those of you ethical fair chase guys who object to dogs , there is plenty of fair chase in using a spear !

Gigmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals

The Fair Chase thing is a political feel-good term. In the wild, nothing is fair.
Any method used by a human is infinity more humane than what happens to prey from other predators, parasites, disease, loss of habitat, etc.....

To all the PETA people who live in their nice neighborhoods, with leather shoes and belts, and gas burning SUVs, I ask: Why is it not okay for me to harvest a few animals to eat, but you can condemn thousands to death by loss of habitat, and have the audacity to think that you are morally superior? How do you think farmers protect the crops that you eat? By killing deer, rabbits and other animals that feed on it. And they are not restricted by limits or seasons. Several dozen deer, and countless rabbits had to die for you to enjoy that soy burger and salad. Morally superior...I think not!

I hunt to eat meat...period. If I want sport, I take my camcorder instead of a weapon. I use primitive weapons so that if society collapses, I can still feed and defend my loved ones. I don't want to have to learn when success is critical. I'd like to already be proficient when the time comes.

Who knows? If I am lucky, maybe I'll never have to find out if I can really do it, or not.
OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

About as primitive as I get is hunting hogs with dogs. When the dogs get one stretched, we just stick them in the neck with a Bowie knife. We occationally lose a dog when they tackle a large boar. I don't own hog dogs, but I hunt with people who do. They cross a coon hound with pit bulls to get the right combination of toughness and good hunting skill.

It keeps the BBQ pits going!

It's a blood sport, and not for the weak at heart.

Cary

OntheLasGallinas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HUNTING PIGS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY Reply with quote

GigMaster,

I agree with learning to use primitive weapons so that if society collapses, you can still feed and defend your loved ones. I believe that it will happen one day. Just look as how fast society broke down during Katrina. We need to have to ability to use what ever it takes to survive.

Cary

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 4 of 4