Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Resizing Die Question
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

I thought I'd step up to full-length resizing this year instead of neck sizing only. It's a new learning experience. Lots more details and variables to control. I just full-length resized and trimmed about 30 cases for my .270 Win. I thought I'd cycle a few of them through my gun just as a double check. They cycled but I had to apply slight pressure to the bolt handle to close. When I drop a new case in the chamber, its like the case isn't there (same feel as closing the bolt on an empty chamber). In the picture below, I placed three cases side by side; new (left), resized (middle), and once-fired (right). The flare of the shoulder on the resized case looks too long to me.

Your comments and suggesting would be appreciated.

case comparison new_resized_once fired.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.84 KB
 Viewed:  8207 Time(s)

case comparison new_resized_once fired.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

It sure appears so...

Check the die adjustment to insure you ARE full length resizing. It evident that it's not reforming the shoulder to proper dimentions.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

did you anneal the neck? How's your innerpart of the sizing die returning trough the neck? Very difficult so that you increase the length of the neck again? If yes: or you anneal, or you 'oil' the inside of the neck with an oil-moistened brass brush or with some graphite powder.
MacD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Try adjusting your die down gradually and chamber the casing each time until resistant stops. Since you have neck sized till now I assume you haven't had the problem before. My .223 has a tight chamber. I had to turn my FL die in about 1/4 turn beyond what the die instructions specified or I would feel the same resistance when I cammed down the bolt. I only FL brass from other rifles and have no problems neck sizing brass from my own rifle.

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

What dies are you using? Make sure your lubing the inside of the neck, I use a small container with #2 graphite (pencil) and a thin layer of powder and dip the neck in and re-size. As Bushy says, it does not look like the die is going down far enough. I would do as Mac says and a little at a time and chamber it till it's smooth.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Confused Just looking at your pic-It looks as tho the back of the shoulder is at the right height,but it looks like the front of the shoulder is a little long,Have you checked the shoulder angle after resizing?Either it is wrong or you need to screw your die in toward the shell holder.If that is not possible you might need to have some of the die shaved off on the bottom to allow it to be turned down toward the shell holder,or return it to where you bought it for a new set.Might be that you got the one made on Monday or Friday!

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. The die is seated with no gap at the top of the ram stroke so I can't get it any lower. I have been using an oiled q-tip to lube the inside of the necks (every one of them). Pulling the neck-sizing button back through the case has been where the most force is required during resizing. I have not annealed the brass.

After finding it took pressure to close the bolt on fully resized cases, I did a couple with the neck-sizing button uninstalled to make sure the case wasn't getting stretched during the down stroke (this is the resized case in the picture). Thus, neither lubing nor annealing should be an issue in this situation because the brass is also resized without the neck button installed. These are Hornady's new dies. I really liked how they were set-up. I just bought them so I'm going to take them back. Probably order some Redding both a full-length resize and a neck-sizing only. There are lots of extra steps in full-lenght resizing that are not required with a neck-size only.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Adjust the FL sizer die so it just barely, or even not at all, sizes the brass. Then chamber the brass and close the bolt, with no powder, primer or bullet, and see if it will close. It should not yet. Then keep adjusting the sizer down a bit at a time until it will. That is the best for your chamber. You will be sizing the brass enough to chamber, but not any more than needed. It will extend brass life, and can be more accurate.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Ok, OV1. I'm confused. The brass already fits my chamber before its resized. By resizing with the die adjusted against the ram, shouldn't it provide the most clearance?

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Is that with the case in the die?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

New brass, new factory shells and cartridges are suppose to adhere by the minimum sammi specs for any commercial cartridge to provide the most clearance with standard factory chamber rounds (chamber throat and Leade).

I'm still betting that you do not have the die all the way screwed down for your rifle.

Remember, each rifle is it's own individual.

MacD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Which "new" Hornady dies? They aren't the custom ones with the interchangeable neck bushings are they?

You can try calling Hornady and they make have a solution at hand. Sorry for your trouble. I know how frustrating it can be when something new isn't working right.

I have my Lee FL die set about 1/2 a turn beyond the full up ram position to give me that little bit of extra leverage at the end of the up stroke. This gives me a good chamber fit with minimal head space I checked the Hornady instructions and they don't make this suggestion.

Additional reading. blog.sinclairintl.com/...izing-die/

Last edited by MacD on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

Ominivision1 wrote:
I'm still betting that you do not have the die all the way screwed down for your rifle.

trust me, there is no more clearance to lower the die. I already triple check'd it.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

MacD wrote:
Which "new" Hornady dies? They aren't the custom ones with the interchangeable neck bushings are they?

No neck bushings, just the new dies with interchangable neck-sizing buttons and decaping pins.

MacD wrote:
You can try calling Hornady and they make have a solution at hand.

I'll contact Hornady

MacD wrote:
Sorry for your trouble. I know how frustrating it can be when something new isn't working right.

Thanks! At least I don't have to rely on this new process and can take my time.

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Resizing Die Question Reply with quote

This is a prime example as to why I like to have a headspace gauge !!!

Are you using a Hornady case holder ......... if you got access to another case holder try a different one.
I've ran into holders that have different heights.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 3