Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glockman55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

He might have put his foot in his mouth. I don't hunt with an AK, but I like to shoot them. As we all know these weapons have got a bad rap, They are not fully auto's and I have no problem with anyone owning one. Check this out.
outdoorlife.blogs.com/...fles_.html

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

Hey!! I like Mr. Zumbo and his feelings about Assault rifles...I echo his statement...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

I'm sure this subject will get some attention. In the state of MD it is legal to hunt deer with semi auto centerfire rifles if the round has 1200 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. You can have no more than 8 rounds in the clip. What I worry about with ANY semi auto rifle being used for hunting is not enough time and thought being put into the FIRST shot ( the only one that should be needed ) because of the ability to have fast follow up shots. I hunt with a REM1100 shotgun is it considered to be a assault weapon because it's a semi auto ?. I guess I'm saying I think it depends on the individual. But we all no laws are not based that way. There's a couple different ways of looking at this. I'm looking forward to hearing everybodys oppinion Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Hey!! I like Mr. Zumbo and his feelings about Assault rifles...I echo his statement...

I second that. I don't have anything against anybody owning one but they don't belong in the hands of hunters during hunting season................. I agree they make hunters look like terrorists. Joe public doesn't like us walking around with guns as it is, much less assault rifles same as is used by the terrorists etc. Neutral

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

I've had a bad injury to my left arm and shoulder. Just before my injury I bought a Benelli pump. Needles to say and to my disappointment, I couldn't work the slide. I was forced to trade it off, at a loss, for a Charles Daly semi-auto, a so called assault weapon. I've also used an SKS 7.62x39 for deer. It only held 5 rds. That's all I had at the time. I took 2 deer, both a one-shot kill. The type of weapon used by choice or out of nessecity, doesn't make them a terrorist. As a Veteran, if I ever see anyone using these or any other type of weapons to commit terrorist acts I would put them down, HARSHLY!!!

As for the spray and pray methodology of marksmanship that is usually associated with this type of weapon, it all comes down to self control.
The only time to use this method is when someone or something is coming at you with full intensions of either killing and/or eating you. In that case, hose it down and pray it doesn't get you.

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

I believe Mr.Zumbo was referring to semi-automatic rilfes, not selective-fire assault rifles. If we could use semi-automatic rifles for hunting in Pennsylvania, I would use an AR-15 for groundhogs and an M1 Garand for deer. All the best...
Gil

Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

Hunters, Shooters and collecters........We better pull our heads out of our A$$'es or loose all we have going for us..... collectivly!!!!!!!
If I want to hunt with My MAK90 and 5 round mag, I'm going to! And have as a matter of fact!!!
Assault rifles are not hunting rifles, true. But I dont own an assault rifle, I own a Bushmaster "VARMINTER" a highly accurate semi Automatic VARMINT rifle, and several XM-15 Match rifles, but no ASSault rifles. GET OVER IT!!! The ignorance of some so called "Gun & hunting writers" overwhelms and saddens me. We may see the end of our shooting freedoms in our life times.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

My...Yer an optimistic person aren't you...I didn't say they couldn't have the damn things...I just said they aren't hunting arms and really don't belong in the field hunting game... wtf Very Happy

That and a little common sense just might help us keep our God given right to own and bare arms...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

Here is the link to Mr. Zumbo's apology. He admits he was wrong and apologies that he irked a lot of hunters and shooters. Must have been the mountain air or something.

outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

One must remember that the Brown Bess musket was the assault rifle of the Revolutionary War. Same with the 1898 Mauser or the 1903 Springfield were the assault rifles of WWI. Labeling firearms as bad does us no good. The anti-gunners are content to ban the ugly black rifles first then deer rifles (sometimes called sniper rifles) and then shotguns. That is what happened in Australia. All the best...
Gil

Last edited by Gil Martin on Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
glockman55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

I think Jim Zumbo will regret ever saying this, all of us can state our opinions on this with not too many repercussions. But someone like Zumbo has to be cautious on what he states publically. His repuatation is at stake. Look how the public jumped all over Jimmy Houston, The caged hunt issue.

www.realindy.com/canhunt.htm

glockman55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

The Brady Bunch already have their hands on this Blog.
outdoorlife.blogs.com/...g_big.html

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

This is rediculas, the majority (95-99% maybe) civilians in Canada or the US dont own assult rifles, for the simple reason they are banned. A Assult rifle not only has a intermediate cartrage like the 5.56x45mm NATO/223 Rem or the Russian 7.62x39mm, they are also "Fully Automatic/Burst Fire", last I checked none of the AK clones they sell or the AR-15's fit that defintion. Confused

Sorry I read Outdoorlife once and a while so I dont know this Jim Zumbo exactly, but who ever he is he isnt pro-gun or pro-2nd Amendement in the US. He is a Anti-gun plain and simple. Personally after that artical if I was the publisher I'd have booted him out the door! Mad

Dimitri

mc223

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

I AM FAR MORE TROUBLED BY THE IGNORANT ECHO AND THE SECOND POSTED ABOVE. WHAT ZUMBO DID WAS WRONG, FOR ALL GUN ENTHUSIASTS.

Last edited by mc223 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Hutch
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

Dumbo was WRONG and he will pay for it. Here's in part what he said

Quote::
I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles.

What he is expressing is precisely in line with the Anti-Gun crowd and echoes their train of thought.

He is also insulting the thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines who have carried the M16 variants for over 40 years.

"There is no place in a civilized society for handguns. They are only good for killing people." Sound familiar?

How 'bout those long range sniper rifles? How 'bout those rapid firing lever guns?

Dimitri has already explained what an assault rifle is and it IS NOT one of the evil black rifles in the possession of many shooters and yes, hunters too.

Who are you to decide what I carry in the woods and prairies anyway?

He is expressing an elitists philosophy that many among the hunting community truly feel. It's exactly the same as John Kerry and his duck hunting stunt prior to the last Presidential election. It's exactly the same hunting justification Klinton used in 1994 for the "assault weapons" ban. The Brady Bunch has already picked up on an "experts" opinion and you'll read about it as the second "assault weapons" ban is being discussed.

For those of you who are supporting this azzhat, perhaps you ought to give it a second thought and reconsider. As the recently deceased Jeff Cooper said, "The 2nd Amendment doesn't state that we have the right to keep and bear sporting goods." If the evil "assault rifles" go your long range sniper rifles are next........

By then it will be to late to join forces and support all of the shooting AND/OR hunting sports. They are ALL under attack. United we stand (maybe), divided we fall.

This azzhat is history...... Wanna bet?

Last edited by Hutch on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim Zumbo..Assault Rifles For Hunting? Reply with quote

No gun writer should do what Zumbo did.
It puts a crack in the armor of us gun people.
I wouldn't hunt with an AK, and I would not hunt with any "cowboy" using one.
However a person has a right to hunt with one, just not with me.
I sure wouldn't then go stand on a soap box like Z. did, and spout the stuff that he did though.

I read his apology, and I stated on the Leverguns site, and got deleted for it, that all of us at one time or another, gets a brain fart.
I will forgive, and accept that Zumbo had one of these, and now we must back off the guy, and join ranks once again.

I apologize for saying the f**t word, but it is the only way that I can explain what can happen to any of us without writing a thousand word essay. Confused

Eric

NRA Life Member
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 6