· Views: 825189
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Crossbows
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Crossbows Reply with quote

Thats to bad. Sad

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbows Reply with quote

Vince...

I'd leave...

Gigster,

not tryin' to bust yer lumps, but expecting a "short range" weapon to perform outside of it's designed parameters is unrealisitic. As a marine sniper, I would think that you, of all people, would understand that all weapons have limitations. If you find youself in a situation where a crossbow is your emergency back-up plan, perhaps you had better re-evaluate your planning. I'm still gonna count on a firearm at 100 yards, and will leave my crossbow to close range hunting situations....

Gigmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbows Reply with quote

You just hit the nail on the head. That's the fun part....finding the limitations. That's the whole point.

Sometimes I bowhunt, and sometimes I shoot archery. The difference....?

1. An archer attempts to see how distant he can shoot consistently.
2. A bowhunter attempts to see how close he/she can approach the target before shooting.

It's 2 different sports. I do not shoot animals at long range. I don't have to, and I want to take them home to eat, so I don't take chances.

Archery gives me confidence in my ability to control my shots, and put them where I want them. It also helps me understand my weapon, what it can, and can't do.

If you can hit your mark consistently at 100+ yards, then a clean kill at 20 yards is a piece-of-cake. I have a full freezer to prove it. (and no, I do not break game laws either. I never shoot and keep more than the legal limit).

Semper Fi!

hunterjoe21 wrote:
Vince...

I'd leave...

Gigster,

not tryin' to bust yer lumps, but expecting a "short range" weapon to perform outside of it's designed parameters is unrealisitic. As a marine sniper, I would think that you, of all people, would understand that all weapons have limitations. If you find youself in a situation where a crossbow is your emergency back-up plan, perhaps you had better re-evaluate your planning. I'm still gonna count on a firearm at 100 yards, and will leave my crossbow to close range hunting situations....
280shooter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbows Reply with quote

here In PA.they have a few areas where anyone can use cross bows.
I have a medical permit that will let me use it in any season,anywhere,
So I bought a excalibur exocet,its 200 lb. thats the most you can use in pa.why I have no clue.some stupid law,
But anyhow,I used bows for years,recurves then when bear brought out the white tail.I had to have one,I shot 4 deer with it,untill some low life broke into my car and took it,
but anyhow,I cant shoot any bow as well as my cross bow.with out bull crap.I can shoot dime size groups at 50 yards with my cross bow.I have to keep changing my bull eye shots or i'll shoot and i have shot the bolt into the back of the other,I ruined 4 brand new bolts,last fall.by shooting at the same dot,
They have so many new styles of cross bows now In just a 2 year period,

bow tec makesa sweet bow..but its not cheap;thats over 400 fps,
I have a hard time keeping my bolts to s tay inside of my target,and its made for crossbows.
Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossbows Reply with quote

I've got a Barnett "Rhino" crossbow. 150 lbs compound bow and I've hunted with it for a number of years. We have a 10 day early and 10 day late season where I can use them for deer or moose. I've taken some Mule deer with mine out to 47 yards. I'd never shoot any bow at an animal the size of a deer or larger over the 50 yards mark. Every shot on an animal with mine was a complete pass through, most double lung and that's using 100 gr Spitfire broadheads. I like mine

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 3 of 3