Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 825118
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Boleo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

There are a few things about shooters and hunters that I know that really set me off. You would not believe how many friends ask me to be on the lookout for a rifle, shotgun or handgun and advise them of my findings. Just last week it happened again. A fellow I hunt with wants a lighter shotgun and I directed him to a local gun shop that had a nice selection. He thanked me repeatedly (not a good sign) and promised to go directly to the shop. It never happened. I am beginning to see a pattern here and will no longer offer recommendations.

The second thing involves short hunting trips that I take every year for pheasants. We have a small group that goes without fail every year. We tell our friends and a whole bunch then volunteer to go on the next trip. No problem, except as the time draws near to go on the hunt, the volunteers drop off very quickly. When it is time to go, the same four of us load up and go. Oh well. Take care...
Joe
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Joe, I don't think this is particular to hunters and shooters. These are just human traits, male and female. It would be the same for recommendations on dishes or a trip to go wine tasting. At least they ask you for recommendations. Maybe give them options next time, not just the one gun shop. Sounds like you have a great foursome that will endure.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Joe Boleo wrote:
There are a few things about shooters and hunters that I know that really set me off. You would not believe how many friends ask me to be on the lookout for a rifle, shotgun or handgun and advise them of my findings. Just last week it happened again. A fellow I hunt with wants a lighter shotgun and I directed him to a local gun shop that had a nice selection. He thanked me repeatedly (not a good sign) and promised to go directly to the shop. It never happened. I am beginning to see a pattern here and will no longer offer recommendations.

The second thing involves short hunting trips that I take every year for pheasants. We have a small group that goes without fail every year. We tell our friends and a whole bunch then volunteer to go on the next trip. No problem, except as the time draws near to go on the hunt, the volunteers drop off very quickly. When it is time to go, the same four of us load up and go. Oh well. Take care...
Joe

People frequently don't take my recommendations and not uncommonly say they're going to do something and then don't. I don't get my feeling hurt about this and just write it off as a normal human experience and I still give reocomendations.
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

It's a sign of respect for your knowledge. They don't really know how to say they're interested in what you do, and they wanna look good in your eyes, so they make it look like they wanna join in. What they don't realize is that it's hurtful to disappoint. Do them a favor and return the compliment.

Call their bluff and take that guy to the gun shop (don't tell him before hand you're going) and show him the gun of his life. He'll give you all the excuses and you'll both end up knowing how serious he is. He'll stop doin it. He'll realize you're more serious than he is, and won't want that trip to the store again.

The guys that wanna go pheasant hunting with you will need to sign up and pay a fee first, the fee is due right now, not later. Make sure the 4 guys you regularly go with know about the fee first so they can co-operate with you. Oh it's a new fee for this area and it's only $10 for the entire season. If they pay the fee and don't go, it's your beer money. If they pay the fee and go, show em a good time.

Ann Landers
Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Well, I know that many times I planned to do/buy something and something else came up to prevent it. A new toy or a trip with the guys is always welcome but having a working car, or stove, or ... usually takes precedence. Even if someone is just blowing smoke about what they're going to do it doesn't really bother me, especially when I realize that that's just the way they are.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
ROADJOCKY

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Very Happy SUZ!I like your style.after being in the auto business for 30yrs it is hard to say how many times I have been called at (home) by friends not at work! to ask about a certain type of car or truck andI take the time to call or run one by for them to see and save them the trip to the dealership and never hear again till about 6mths it is the same all over again LOL The bad thing is you know what is going on but you do as asked. Like you say human nature is strange,but all the same.
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Pumpkin:
Been there, done that and its still doing it to me, they say appliance breakdowns come in 3. Sad And for me it has, and it still is. Smile

Suz:
Yup, I put them to the task and see if they are up to it. Wanna buy a gun, hmm lets go now to the smith and their reply usually is they don't have time now. Next time they ask, I tell them when you have the time and are ready, I will give my option. But for the most, I agree with Pumpkin that they are blowing smoke.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

if you dont want to respect my opion why the f#*K did you ask for it???
is one ans to this delima.
yeah yeah we will go hunting soon.....
I organise myself get time n date sorted THEN ask mates if they want to go if they do its great if not oh well I go and have a ball anyway.
my pet bug is piss poor muzzle control. all you ex servicemen will jump on me for saying this but MY experience here in NZ is that guys who have been trained in the forces keep pointing the muzzle all over the show and it often goes right past a fella.
not unloading BEFORE approaching a hut or carpark at end of hunt.
jumping out a duck bunny or wallaby for mates to shoot and they dont pull the trigger Mad If Ive busted my arse to chase it out please have a go Iwont growl if you miss...

SSgtCaleb
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

Thats happens to me all the time...You just have to deal with folks like that by not expecting them to follow through.... I hate it when folks bail from bass boating for reasons like that....

Arron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

What bugs me is when folks who know better use the term "clip" for a magazine! The other is when guys who have been doing things all the time do things the WRONG WAY! MUZZLE CONTROL and finger on the trigger when cycling the slide!!! Bugs the snot outta' me!

The other one...AND THIS IS HUGE! Lack of RESPECT for the animals they pursue. I cannot tell ya' how many times I have heard guys refer to animals as that stupid SOB or that MF'er/ing worthless POS (insert animal).

Then walking into a place of business and dumping mud all over the floor.

WE; are sometimes our own worst enemy folks! Clean it up! OK???

bracer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

I dont tell people that Im going out to enjoy my sports, My bird dog knows when I get out my shot gun. The wife knows when me and my dog are heading to the pickup. Learned years ago ,have a few good hunting and fishing buddies and not talk about much to non outdoors men.

chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pet peeves regarding shooters and hunters Reply with quote

I've found that most already have their minds made up to what it is they want.............why they ask for advise in the first place is beyond my understanding !!!

Dear Ann..............got some extra time......maybe a week or two !!! Bang Head

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1